Did you know up until the age of five, the interaction between our movement and gravity is subconscious? After the age of five, we begin to "learn" how to use our muscles, which is an incredible disruption to our relationship with nature.
In this episode of the Align podcast, I chat with well-known movement expert, Dr. Nicholas Romanov, on the biomechanics of movement and why it's essential we realign with gravity to prevent injury and move optimally. We go further than just movement, and also dive into how our emotions, perception, and vibrations all correlate to the way we move.
Dr. Nicholas Romanov is a two-time Olympic coach and creator of the Pose Method, an essential guide for all runners seeking to go faster and farther without injury.
What we discuss:
- The General Movement Theory (00:00)
- How we disrupt our natural movement (4:00)
- How to unlearn how we have been taught to move (8:00)
- Actionable steps to come into relationship with gravity (9:00)
- The POSE method (12:15)
- The benefits of learning to run on ice (13:00)
- Heal striking (15:45)
- Why cushioning your heals when running increases injury (18:00)
- What natural actually means (19:00)
- How to align with gravity (20:00)
- The definition of emotion (25:00)
- How postural patterns affect how a person thinks and feels (29:00)
- Dr. Romanov upbringing in the Soviet Union (32:00)
- How Dr. Romanov became an elite athlete (36:00)
- The evolution of fitness (38:30)
- The dangers of micromanaging your nutrition and health (40:00)
- The Central Governor Theory (46:30)
- Perception in relation to your body (50:00)
- Our emotional vibrations (55:00)
Find more from Dr. Nicholas Romanov: